Wednesday 19 October 2011

ANHSYXIA...Return To A/The 'State' of Απεργια...


A colleagues of mine said today, "You should update your blog; you're in Greece now." As if the point of this was ever to advertise where I happen to be. 'Anisyxia' is, more than anything else, obviously, an existential, metaphysical state, except the name of the blog, of course, came from the apellation given to a socio-political series of events in Greece a few years ago. Those events were, of course, the physical, social manifestations of an existential, metaphysical state turned outwards. Today (literally today - October 19th 2011, the first day of a 48 hour general strike) what can be seen on this video, what I can see part of from the terrace of the apartment where I now live, and the audible echoes of which I can hear very clearly, were it not for the mass of police and media helicopters buzzing around (I live high on a hill, so they are closer to me than I might otherwise like...), and what I can - literally hear and smell (Ματ (riot squad) tear gas canisters countering home-made Molotov cocktails, chanting on a tediously repetitive scale - it sounds like "Apergia, apergia, apergia dia a dia" which, if so, shows a remarkable and beautiful Greco-Hispanic solidarity, so I must be mishearing), is anisyxia writ large. Tweeters are all over it, of course (have a look at http://teacherdudebbq.blogspot.com, who I have always had a lot of time for) and the hash tags are flying all over the place announcing burning buildings, demonstrations in other, smaller towns and cities; I returned from 5 days in Copenhagen yesterday, and the rubbish still hasn't been collected, and fairly soon it's going to be blocking the roads.



Anyway, for the moment, sit back and watch this. You are, after all, "in Greece now.":











No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Beirut, Lebanon
Increasingly solipsistic... ...decreasingly materialistic... a wanderer... ...adapt or die...